The Declaration of Independence gave birth to the Democratic Republic of Vietnam on September 2nd, 1945. It has also become the “red address” for educating patriotic tradition and revolutionary spirit.
The exhibition room at No. 48 Hang Ngang Street (Photo: laodongthudo.vn)
In the early days of the August Revolution in 1945, this house was the workplace of the Party Central Committee (PCC) and President Ho Chi Minh. A meeting establishing the provisional Government was held here. In particular, in a room on the 2nd floor, President Ho Chi Minh wrote the Declaration of Independence which was read at Ba Dinh Square in Hanoi on September 2nd, 1945, giving birth to the Democratic Republic of Vietnam.
This was a particularly important historical event as it marked a turning point in the development of Vietnamese national history. This was also the place President Ho Chi Minh spent his first days upon returning to Hanoi, where Uncle Ho made decisions that had important historical significance for the Vietnamese nation.
Going through nearly 100 years of ups and downs, at present, the architecture of No. 48 Hang Ngang Street remains original.
The first floor of the house displays materials on the 60th anniversary of the capital liberation day, the 70th anniversary of the founding of the country, the 85th anniversary of the founding of the Communist Party of Vietnam. Currently, the house is the place that the theme “No. 48 Hang Ngang House - where Uncle Ho wrote the Declaration of Independence” is on show.
On the second floor, the most impressive is the historic table with a typewriter that Uncle Ho used to type. It was also the room where President Ho Chi Minh wrote the Declaration of Independence. The floor also has exhibits introducing President Ho Chi Minh’s living room, the rectangular meeting table and chairs that President Ho Chi Minh and PCC members used for work.
The third floor of the house is the traditional room and the place to offer incense.
Over the past years, hundreds of thousands of visitors have come to visit and learn about the history of the 48 Hang Ngang house.
Since 1970, this house has been dedicated as a memorial place of President Ho Chi Minh. In 1979, it was listed as a national cultural and historical relic by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
The house has become a sacred historical relic and a red address for the next generations to study about the birthplace of the Declaration of Independence giving birth to the Democratic Republic of Vietnam./.