Tan Son Nhat airport operates normally following a coronavirus infection

Sunday, 07/02/2021 10:22
Epidemiologists have disinfected Ho Chi Minh City’s Tan Son Nhat International Airport after an employee was infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus, said a leader of the country’s largest airport.

Security ensured in Tan Son Nhat International Airport

The Ho Chi Minh City Centre for Disease Control (HCDC) has carried out COVID-19 testing on Tan Son Nhat airport employees. (Photo: HCDC)

The airport operates normally as it is the peak season during the year, but epidemic preventive measures are being tightened, said Pham Vu Cuong, vice director of the airport.

Cuong told local media outlets that the infected employee did not come into contact with passengers as he worked for the luggage stacking and cargo dispatching service, meaning his infection did not affect the airport’s operation.

At an urgent meeting on February 6, Deputy Minister of Health Do Xuan Tuyen agreed with a proposal not to lock down but to disinfect the airport and quickly track down those who had contact with that employee.

The Tan Son Nhat airport staff was confirmed as a COVID-19 infection after travelling from Ho Chi Minh City to his hometown, Binh Duong province. One of the two younger brothers of the patient later tested positive for the virus.

Binh Duong authorities moved to lock down a block of apartments where the patient lives.

“It is necessary to quickly track down and test those who had close contact with the employee and his younger brother in both HCM City and Binh Duong province,” said Tuyen.

About 50 people who came into contact with the airport’s employee have been identified, VOV has learned.

The Ho Chi Minh City Centre for Disease and Control said it has confirmed the case after testing 5,900 employees at Tan Son Nhat International Airport since January 30.

The centre is due to test the remaining 1,000 employees of the airport during February 6 night.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus recurred in Hai Duong and Quang Ninh province in the north in late January 2021, and it has so far spread to 12 cities and provinces across the country. Ho Chi Minh City has since recorded two infections./.

CPV (Source: VNA)